Graduate Nuclear Structural Engineer Warrington 2022
The AECOM Nuclear Structures Team, provide multi-disciplinary consultancy to the nuclear industry in both the nuclear new build and decommissioning sectors. In the new build sector we are providing engineering support to the Developers of the UK’s fleet of new nuclear power stations. In the Decommissioning Sector, which requires considerable new build to enable decommissioning, AECOM provides support to the entire Nuclear Estate, including:
- Multidisciplinary design support at Sellafield
- Early stage development of the Deep Geological Repository
- Design and development of waste storage and disposal facilities
- Multidisciplinary design support to defence projects.
An example project is Sellafield Pile 1 Diffuser Demolition. The project scope was to demolish the Diffuser, a 1450 tonne Reinforced Concrete box section, at the top of the 110m high ventilation stack, located in the heart of a congested nuclear facility. AECOM played a significant role as the Lead Designer responsible for developing a safe demolition strategy for this contaminated structure, demonstrating stability at all stages and designing the associated civil and structural works, mechanical, electrical and process engineering, including the design of the 150m high tower crane, the tallest ever on the Sellafield site.
The project challenged the Nuclear Industry’s traditional approach for labour intensive, low risk means of demolition, making use of the tower crane to cut and lift large blocks, arguing that the short term increase in risk would lead to a quicker permanent decrease. This unique demolition is currently on-going, and will be a very visible demonstration of the work being done to make Sellafield a safer place.
Graduates commencing their careers with the AECOM are engaged into teams and paired with an experienced engineer who will guide and mentor them through the initial stages of their career whilst working on live projects. Typically these include:
- Preparation of Structural element design in a variety of materials, mainly steel and concrete
- Structural analysis
- Preparation of design documentation; basis of design, design method statements, specifications
- Develop an understanding of highly regulated industries
- Develop an understanding of Safety Cases and the supporting documentation
- Develop an understanding of risk and the preparation of designers risk assessments
- Liaison with project team and in particular with technicians that translate working designs into construction drawings
- Under supervision complete site surveys
- MEng in Civil or Structural Engineering 2:1 (or equivalent ) at an accredited university
- Able to meet the requirements for security clearance in the UK
- Preferably a final year project or modules related to structures and/or nuclear structures
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Preferably Full UK driving license or equivalent that permits driving in the UK
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come.
We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.