2021 Customer Service and Business Strategy Graduate Programme
We are a global services company providing customers with products and experiences that enrich lives every day. American Express has a presence in 130 countries worldwide – we are determined to define our industry.
The Global Servicing Group (GSG), and Travel & Lifestyle Services (TLS) are two of our company’s largest divisions, making up over 60% of the American Express business, with employees in 25 countries across the world.
GSG delivers extraordinary customer care to Card Members, Corporate Clients and Merchants, globally, while providing world-class fraud protection and driving revenue growth for the company.
TLS serves American Express Card Members with a full range of travel and lifestyle support, from trip planning and booking, to procuring premium experiences. This can include anything from seats at the chef’s table to planning a wedding ceremony complete with private helicopter tour into the Grand Canyon.
American Express is an international company, with our European Operational Headquarters based in Brighton. The Brighton office is diverse and inclusive, with a wide range of employee social networks, languages and cultures. Working as part of a global organisation gives you the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues in many of our world class servicing centres such as Mexico, Florida, and the Philippines.
Our service is an award-winning competitive differentiator and is at the heart of our company’s vision. Our passion for attracting and retaining leading talent is what makes us stand out and the reason we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world.
What type of work can you expect to do in Customer Service and Business Strategy at American Express?
Our Customer Service and Business Strategy graduate programme is two years, comprising of four 6 month rotations across key disciplines within GSG and TLS; Change Management, Strategy and Optimisation, Customer Engagement and Planning. Each rotation offers you a new and exciting opportunity to work on a real business challenge in a critical business area, affording you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in a FTSE 100 company. Each graduates journey is unique, you immerse yourself in our people-focused organisation.
Throughout the two year programme you will be able to tailor your professional development through a personalised learning budget, enabling you to complete external training and qualifications whilst experiencing new challenges, building a diverse skillset, and gaining insight into how the largest part of American Express works end-to-end. We value our graduates – you bring a fresh perspective to our business; in return for your time, we will commit to supporting your development, and giving you the freedom, tools and encouragement to drive innovation.
Previous projects have included:
- A comprehensive review and roll-out of the outbound customer contact strategy in the European New Accounts department, enabling missing information on incomplete applications to be sourced more efficiently, whilst providing an enhanced customer experience.
- Supporting an international project to prepare the frontline Credit teams for an economic downturn. Responsibilities included: forecasting for employee requirements in response to increased call volumes under a downturn, designing new payment plans for customers in financial difficulties and redesigning the teams’ digital servicing approach.
- End to end review, strategy creation and implementation of an employee development programme, aiming to deliver tailored development sessions for employees who show high potential. The project included working with senior leaders, securing funding, and creating a communications plan to advertise the new programme.
Do you have what it takes to build a career here?
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to work independently, but also be a team player and have a desire to collaborate
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – the ability to talk to people across all levels
- Strong analytical skills and an interest in both quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Results driven with the potential to manage projects and initiatives to completion
- Leadership potential – you may end up leading a team
- Interest and care for delivering the best customer service
- The ability to think on your feet
- Share our values!
Skills/Experience, preferred but not essential
- Experience of working within a customer service role
- Experience within an operational role
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment
- The programme is open to final year and postgraduate students from any degree discipline
- Strong academics and a predicted 2:1 degree or international equivalent
Where will I be based?
How do I make a successful application?
In order to make a successful application please ensure that you answer the below questions in your cover letter:
Why American Express?
Why Customer Service Business Strategy?
What key strengths do have that would make you a successful graduate within Customer Service Business Strategy at American Express?
Your cover letter and CV will be shared with hiring managers, please ensure you spend the time to provide detailed, well researched responses to the questions. We expect cover letters to be around a page long.
Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
Equal Opportunities Statement
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law.
If you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Campus Recruitment Team on email@example.com
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.
Please note, applications are reviewed in batches and it is advantageous to apply early. The deadline to apply for this position is 20th November 2020.