Assistant Project Manager/ Junior Consultant (Energy)
Tackling climate change is arguably the most difficult challenge humanity has faced and overcoming it will require experts from all disciplines and backgrounds to come together and collaborate. Arup has made sustainability and the urgent need to transform the energy system to low carbon its most important priority in response to this challenge, through the launch of our climate services plan. We are already recognised as leading consultants in this field and are working for both public and private sector clients on some of the most important advisory and engineering projects in the UK today. This includes advice to central and local governments on decarbonisation strategies, managing innovation programmes for low carbon technologies, delivering design solutions for tomorrow’s low carbon energy system, and providing sustainable investment advice.
Over the next three years we will substantially grow our energy business to meet this challenge and are therefore looking to recruit across a wide range of skills and grades in all parts of the UK. If you would like an opportunity to work on projects that are helping drive down carbon emissions across the energy system and build a career at a firm that shares your passion for addressing the causes of climate change, we look forward to hearing from you.
Our current portfolio of work is grouped into client-facing themes including: hydrogen, offshore wind, utility networks (electricity and gas), low carbon transport, city decarbonisation, and nuclear. Our clients include BEIS, National Grid, Scottish Power Renewables, Uniper and Shell.
Arup is a wholly-independent organisation, and is owned in trust for the benefit of its employees and our aims, which allows our members a unique opportunity to have a real say in our company’s future, shape the exciting opportunities it can deliver and pursue work that aligns with their values and those of the firm.
We are looking for an Assistant Project Manager / Junior Consultant with some domain knowledge and experience to join us and become an integral part of our London based Programme & Project Management (PPM) team. PPM exists within Arup’s Client Advisory business, alongside other teams across the UK providing a range of services, including strategy & insight, finance & economics, and assets & operations. You will bring a desire to deliver meaningful work with successful outcomes for our clients through innovative solutions.
The role of Assistant Project Manager / Junior Consultant will be to drive, challenge and successfully deliver complex strategic and operational energy projects using best practice PPM knowledge and advisory skills. Your typical activities will include:
- Being the day-to-day assistant project manager on a range of large and small infrastructure projects and programmes
- Working as part of a team to deliver commissions to a high standard of quality, and client satisfaction
- Identifying and mitigating reputational and commercial risks to Arup
- Supporting new work opportunities and working on bids
Arup is an employee owned organisation. Collaboration and knowledge share within the firm is easy and we will offer you the freedom to push boundaries. This position offers scope for personal development and we encourage independent thinking, focusing on developing existing skills and experience, and the sharing of these experiences with other team members.
Technical Skills and Experience
You will be able to demonstrate your skills, experience and understanding in the following areas:
- An interest in working in the energy sector and transferable or actual energy sector work experience
- Knowledge of project and / or programme management
- Manages small, low-risk projects and project tasks
- Understands the conflict between time, cost quality
- Able to get work done through others by chasing the project team to complete actions
- Has a developing professional network
- Ability to apply a range of digital tools to improve day to day efficiency including the use of MS 365
You will also ideally be able to demonstrate one or more of the following:
- Involved in a project delivering digitally enabled change
- Involved in the development or delivery of advisory services to clients
- Aware of the objectives of sustainable development
You will be able to demonstrate to following people skills:
- Shares the Arup corporate values
- Works collaboratively. Behaves more altruistically than egoistically
- Not asking permission to lead while seeking buy-in and respecting the needs for proper governance
- Confident communicator both written and verbal
- A proven ability to influence peers and managers
- Self-awareness understanding your own development areas and biases
- Aware of own impact on others and shows behaviours that support equality, diversity, and inclusion
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- NVQ 4/degree qualified (or equivalent) in a relevant subject
- An interest in attaining chartership in relevant profession e.g. CEng, ChPP
- An interest in achieving professional qualification in Project and Programme Management e.g. APM PFQ/PMQ, MSP
Relevant Domain Experience
This role is part of a broader recruitment campaign to meet our rising workload in the low carbon energy sector of the future. For this particular role within the campaign, we are particularly interested in hearing from professionals with knowledge or keen interest in one or more of the following domains:
- City decarbonisation
- Low carbon transport
- Offshore wind
- Utility networks (electricity and gas), including interconnectors
Examples of our services relevant to this role include:
- Asset management
- Business transformation
- Capital delivery (design / procurement / construction / commissioning)
- Innovation projects
- Managing projects, programmes and portfolios
- Process improvement
- Programme / Project Management Office (PMO)
- Regulatory submissions
- Strategic advisory
- Supporting organisational change projects
Arup has an underpinning digital strategy that supports all areas of our work.
We are also open to hearing from high calibre applicants with an interest in the above domains with transferable knowledge and skills.
Rewards and Benefits - We care about you and want you to perform at your best. As a result, we offer one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Flex Your Time With Us - We believe that when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. Arup hires people with proven skills and open minds. We are a diverse community of people with shared values, who believe there’s no limit to what we can achieve if we work together. Back in 1970 our founder, Ove Arup, spoke passionately about the value of a diverse workforce. Fifty years later, this belief remains central to how we operate and grow.
We also understand that everyone’s circumstances are different and it’s not always easy to commit to standard working hours. If flexibility is important to you let us know when you apply and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.
What Happens Next?
All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application. Once we’ve reviewed your application, we’ll get in touch for a short telephone interview if we’d like to take things further. Whether your application is successful or not, you’ll always hear back from us.