Graduate Digital Civil Structural Engineer - Infrastructure 2022
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, architects, consultants and technical specialists, working across every aspect of today's built environment. Together we help our clients solve their most complex challenges – turning exciting ideas into tangible reality as we strive to find a better way and shape a better world.
Overview of role
A career in any of our UK Bridges/Civils Structures teams provides an exciting, challenging and rewarding environment in which to work and develop. We are a truly diverse team of individuals delivering a vast range of projects, of all scales, throughout the UK and across the globe. Our work covers the full range of civil engineering structures, bridges and tunnels and we are a driving force behind many major infrastructure projects.
Projects in the built environment are increasingly sophisticated and demanding. We draw on Arup's global depth of expertise across many disciplines and create project teams that utilise the latest digital tools and techniques to deliver civil engineering structures anywhere in the world.
As the industry rapidly transforms through the use of digital technology we aim to be the leading digital consultancy in the built environment. In Bridges and Civil Structures this entails us being at the leading edge in the use of technology such as; 3d solid modelling, automation tools, coding, databases and data analytics. As such we are looking for individuals with an aptitude and interest in developing in these areas alongside the more traditional engineering skills.
At Arup, we strive to identify and implement the most appropriate engineering solution given the challenges of each project and provide our engineers with opportunities to develop their career aspirations. As one of the world's leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
We're looking for graduates to join our teams in Newcastle and Edinburgh. You'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and where you will be guided towards gaining a professional qualification.
Our work covers the design of civil engineering structures in a range of sectors including; highways, rail, energy, water and ports & harbours. Whilst you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, you will have the full support of the team and we'll give you the opportunity to take on more responsibility as you progress and broaden your skills.
What we are looking for
- Masters degree in Civil or Structural Engineering at 2.1 or above (predicted or attained)
- Any modules or additional courses in Data Analytics, Automation, Software Development or Computer Science would be advantageous.
- Studying, or have studied, an ICE or IStructE accredited course
- Grade B or above in A-Level / Higher (or equivalent standard) Mathematics
- Enthusiasm for a career in Bridges and Civil Structures, underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work and slanted towards development and use of digital skills
- Demonstrable understanding of general structural behaviour and an ability to use this understanding to develop practical engineering design solutions
- Demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving, utilising digitally based solutions where appropriate
- An interest in developing knowledge and understanding of other design disciplines such as geotechnics, drainage and general civil engineering to develop coordinated design solutions.
- Strong numerical skills, an analytical thought process and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Have coding skills in a language such as Python or C#, or at the very least have a strong interest in developing such skills.
- Knowledge or interest in automation tools, databases and data analytics.
- Knowledge in the use of CAD and 3D solid modelling would also be advantageous, (such as Solidworks, Revit, Tekla, or AECOsim).
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- Previous experience / capability in the analysis and design of civil engineering structures through university projects or vocational work experience is an advantage.
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
- Planned and organised in your approach to work and meeting deadlines
- Flexible to the needs of the business and changes to project plans
- Committed to the successful delivery of projects, meeting the needs of our clients, the development of the team and business as a whole
You must be available to start this opportunity in September 2022.
What we offer you
Beyond a great salary and stimulating, technically challenging work, Arup offers a range of additional benefits to its people.
As a membership organisation, everyone shares in our success through a global profit share scheme. Our people also have access to a range of broader wellbeing benefits.
You'll have access to lots of learning opportunities including a structured induction and ongoing training through Arup university.
Additionally, you'll have the opportunity to utilise your technical expertise to improve the lives of the most vulnerable in the communities in which we live and work through Arup's community engagement programme.