Graduate Engineering Geologist - Infrastructure United Kingdom 2022
For this opportunity, we welcome applications from individuals that are eligible to apply for / currently hold a Graduate visa. As appropriate, any offer we make will be conditional upon your visa application being approved.
Please be aware that we can only accept one application during each recruitment period, so please only apply for the position that suits you best. If you decide to apply for a different role, please withdraw your first application before submitting the new one.
Launch your career with Arup
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, architects, consultants and technical specialists, working across every aspect of today's built environment. Together we help our clients solve their most complex challenges – turning exciting ideas into tangible reality as we strive to find a better way and shape a better world.
Overview of role
Our global engineering geology and hydrogeology expertise underpins Arup's project work, from design of buildings and infrastructure to consulting advice for city resilience. We advise on projects in the realms of energy, rail, highways, aviation, buildings, water, dams, flood mitigation, mining, tunnels and underground spaces. We provide engineering geology and hydrogeology expertise in natural hazards and risk to governments and their advisors both in developed cities and in the context of international development.
As one of the world's leading building and infrastructure design consultancies, we offer clients the innovation and technical know-how to continually deliver their projects on schedule and on budget, but without compromise.
We are looking for enthusiastic graduates to join our Ground Engineering teams across our UK offices. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and encouraged to work towards a professional qualification.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills and experience.
As a Graduate Engineering Geologist you will be working within a multi-disciplinary office supported by other Engineering Geologists and Geotechnical Engineers of all levels of experience. You will undertake desk studies, interpret and assimilate data, in order to prepare ground models, assess risk and contribute to the engineering design process. You will have the opportunity to work in the field, on walkovers, investigations, and construction. Candidates will also provide their knowledge and expertise for external clients on projects across a wide range of markets.
Due to the multi-disciplinary nature of our design teams, you will also work alongside experts in other Arup disciplines. Our operating structure requires you to support the team across the region you work within and may require you to work in any of our offices from time to time to support workload, network development and skill development.
What are we looking for?
For this opportunity, we are seeking the following qualifications, skills and attributes:
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering Geology, Geology, Earth Science or related subject
- Preferably a post-graduate qualification (Masters or PhD) in Engineering Geology, Geotechnics, Soil Mechanics, or Rock Mechanics;
- Enthusiasm for a career in Geology underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work and an analytical thought process;
- Rounded knowledge of engineering geology supplemented with a good understanding of sustainable development principles, digital design and automation;
- Some experience with coding languages, finite element software, or digital design would be beneficial;
- A good understanding of GIS for both interrogating and presenting data would be beneficial;
- Have an informed world-view and be able to communicate complex ideas and solutions to our clients; some knowledge of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, carbon management or Planetary Boundaries would be beneficial;
- Interest in geo-environmental science could be beneficial in some of our locations;
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive, seeking to improve existing ways of working, as well as enjoying working as part of a team;
- Enthusiasm for working out-of-doors from time to time; and
- Possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and demonstrate an aptitude for learning new software that utilises 3D design and digital automation.
You must be available to start this opportunity in September 2022.
What we offer you
Beyond a great salary and stimulating, technically challenging work, Arup offers a range of additional benefits to its people.
As a membership organisation, everyone shares in our success through a global profit share scheme. Our people also have access to a range of broader wellbeing benefits.
You'll have access to lots of learning opportunities including a structured induction and ongoing training through Arup university.
Additionally, you'll have the opportunity to utilise your technical expertise to improve the lives of the most vulnerable in the communities in which we live and work through Arup's community engagement programme.
Complete the application form, attaching any required documents. We'll be reviewing applications on a rolling basis. You are therefore strongly encouraged to apply in advance of the application deadline. Our assessment centres for this opportunity will take place from December 2021.
Different people, shared values
At Arup we believe when talented people collaborate, great things are possible. We are taking deliberate action to create an inclusive culture that is grounded in our purpose to shape a better world. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome all backgrounds.
Arup is committed to making all stages of our recruitment process accessible to candidates with disabilities. We strongly encourage you to share any adjustments that will support your participation in our recruitment process. Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Arup, we appreciate that everyone's circumstances are different and having the freedom to flex the way we work is essential to our wellbeing. If flexibility matters to you let us know when you apply and we will discuss how this could work in your role.
Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our selection process.