Rolling Stock - Graduate Electrical/Mechanical Engineer 2021
At Arup, we design and deliver ground-breaking icons through our work in infrastructure, building design and specialist technical services. Independent in ownership and spirit, we're a global firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical experts who use our skills to make a positive difference in the world.
Due to continued growth in our businesses, our new Rolling Stock team are looking to recruit a Graduate Mechanical or Electrical Engineer into our Nottingham Office.
Our Rolling Stock team apply their specialist skills to rail projects across the globe. We offer our clients a broad spectrum of expertise and consulting services in, but not limited to:
- Railway business management
- Rolling stock systems engineering
- Rolling stock assurance / acceptance
- Rolling stock specialist engineering
- Rolling stock design
- Rolling stock asset management
Our clients include rolling stock operators, maintainers, governmental bodies, rail infrastructure owners and investment bodies.
Are you interested in a career in Rolling Stock & Rail Engineering?
Right now, we're looking for a Graduate Mechanical and/or Electrical Engineer to join our rail team. From your first day, you'll join an unrivalled community of experts, where everyone is supported in their career path and guided towards gaining professional accreditation.
You'll help us to deliver effective and professional services for a range of varied and high-profile clients. While you'll have a great deal of responsibility from day one, we'll give you the chance to take on more as you progress and broaden your skills. You will be encouraged to work towards a professional qualification with the IMechE or IET, whilst maintaining control and drive of your own career.
Typical responsibilities could include:
- Delivering technical work, either in formal reports or other suitable media
- Supporting internal delivery and maintaining excellent customer relations, quality, and programmes
- Contributing to bids and proposals
- Delivery of consultancy advice
- Contributing to the rolling stock strategy and business plan
- Site visits and asset condition assessments
- Attending and participating in project meetings, design reviews and HAZOPs
You will provide support to team members to deliver an effective and professional service to our clients. Due to the multi-disciplinary nature of our design teams, you will have the opportunity to work alongside experts in the following fields: Electrical Engineers, Process Scientists, Civil and Structural Engineers, Environmental Consultants, Project Managers, Fire Engineers, Transport Planners, Geotechnical Engineers and Planners.
We're looking for graduates with curiosity, personal drive and technical knowhow.
We're looking for the following qualifications, attributes and skills:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Rail Engineering, General Engineering or Engineering Science (2.1 or above)
- Studying, or have studied, an IMechE or IET accredited course with an ambition to achieve chartered membership
- Strong working knowledge of Office and demonstrate an ability to learn new software within a working environment that utilises 3D design and digital automation
- Enthusiasm for a career in Rail Engineering, underpinned by a knowledge and understanding of our sector and work
- Analytical thought process
- Seek to improve existing ways of working, by finding efficiencies in processes
- The aptitude to work on your own initiative and be proactive
Arup offers extensive opportunities for your personal and career development and:
- A competitive salary and settling in allowance
- Profit share scheme
- A comprehensive benefits package, including a flexible benefits fund and highly competitive pension
- An interesting and varied workload
- The opportunity to work on international projects
- Technically challenging projects that will stretch and challenge your skills
- Opportunities to work abroad
- A supportive and friendly team, based in an excellent working environment
- Mentorship and support towards professional accreditation and career development opportunities
Does this role sound of interest to you?
Assessment centres will take place from December 2020, so we recommend that you apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on this exciting opportunity.
Please note that we are unable to offer Skilled Worker Visa sponsorship for this role. Therefore, you must ensure that you are eligible to work in the UK without our sponsorship in order for your application to be considered.