Systems Engineering Graduate Programme Plymouth 2024
Salary: Competitive* *Minimum £31,000. Salary is dependent on location, role and qualifications.
Location: Plymouth, England
Closing date: 14 December 2023.
Start date: Autumn 2024
About the programme
Babcock is a leading provider of critical, complex design and engineering services. We support national defence, save lives, and protect communities.
On this graduate programme you’ll develop into a Systems Engineer. You’ll help us to ensure our clients’ systems remain reliable, work well when their partner systems change, and run effectively without any problems.
You’ll work on a variety of complex engineering projects that could see you getting involved in everything from designing instrumentation software to measure radiation, to developing and maintaining nuclear and marine systems for the Royal Navy.
As part of this programme, we encourage mobility across our sectors to give you a broader experience and wider exposure to our business.
Systems Engineering at Babcock
Systems engineering is an interdisciplinary approach to the design, development, operation, and maintenance of complex systems.
As a systems engineer, you’ll work alongside experienced design, software, mechanical and electrical engineering teams as well as with project management, quality, and supply chain teams.
You’ll apply your developing systems engineering skills and understanding of the interactions and interfaces in working with a variety of stakeholders to understand the needs of the system, identify and mitigate risks, and ensure that the system meets its requirements.
On this programme, you may:
- Work on a variety of complex engineering projects, from defence systems to critical infrastructure
- Collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders, including engineers, customers, suppliers, and business leaders
- Develop your skills in Babcock’s systems engineering lifecycle through formal training, mentoring and on the job learning
- Use your systems engineering skills to identify and mitigate risks and ensure that projects are delivered on time and within budget.
What you'll need
To be successful in this role, you will need:
- A strong academic background in a STEM discipline
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A passion for engineering and a desire to make a difference
- Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance. . For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you'll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
- Minimum 25 days holiday entitlements + bank holidays + agile working* subject to conversation with your manager
- Generous pension and employee share schemes
- Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts
- Employee assistance programme supporting physical, mental and financial wellbeing
- You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach and volunteering activities, which our graduates find incredibly rewarding in all sorts of other ways.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Graduate Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partner Gen Healthy Minds, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.