Graduate GNSS Analyst/Engineer Derby and York 2021
We’re looking for a talented GNSS Analyst/Engineer to join our Omnicom Rail team, in either our Derby or York office.
Working in an engineering environment, this isn’t the average data analysis or programming job, we solve real world problems every day and we’re looking for candidates who want to make a difference to the world around them. We cover everything from embedded data capture systems, through distributed and cloud-based processing and analysis solutions, all the way to web based visualisation systems and heavy duty, desktop bound, data investigation tools. To achieve all this, we have a very capable, multi-disciplined team of engineers, developers and mathematicians pulling together to create inventive and high-performance solutions for a worldwide market.
The role will be responsible for processing, analysing and quality control of railway survey data.
Our Engineering Graduates follow a training programme as part of our accredited scheme.
- As the Data Analyst, you will be responsible for processing and analysing 360 degree LIDAR, positional and video data sets using a combination of bespoke and ‘off the shelf’ software solutions.
- You will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of both OC3D itself and the suite of processing tools that consume its data.
- You will be expected to take a proactive approach for resolving system issues and creating innovative solutions to maintain an acceptable balance between risk, reward, and customer service.
- You will be responsible for implementing robust development and quality assurance of the data processing and data collection processes.
- You will be expected to identify and report improvement in both the data processing and data collection process and drive continuous improvement of the products.
- You will be responsible for delivering project data and reports within the agreed time.
- You will possess the ability to analyse data within a spatial database and also have an appreciation of coding.
- You will possess strong report writing skills in relation to the presentation of data analysis.
- You will possess strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with the customer.
We've designed our two-year Technical Graduate Scheme to start your journey towards becoming an industry expert. So, expect well-structured training, incredible projects, talented colleagues and loads of hands-on experience. You will follow a development programme that will equip you with the skills needed to become a business leader of the future. Throughout the two years, you'll be supported by your line manager and have the opportunity to attend graduate-based events, where you will work with your peers, develop interpersonal skills and share best practice. You will join a graduate cohort and be assigned Business Improvement and Corporate Social Responsibility Projects that can affect the way we work as a business.
What technologies do we work with?
- We use cutting edge GNSS and Inertial systems in our hardware and survey solutions
- We use survey grade laser scanning systems and machine vision quality video systems
- Our data is ingested and processed into vast databases for processing (many Terrabytes)
- We develop systems with C#, using both .net and .net core. We also use JAVA and database technologies such as Oracle
- Desktop applications are Windows based, so they’re mainly WPF or WinForms
- We don’t really like duplicating effort, so we look to use web UI in some desktop systems
- Integration with high precision movement sensors sometimes requires C++
- Our mathematicians develop high performance algorithms using Matlab
- Many of our systems get deployed into the Azure Cloud
- These technologies move really fast, so we like to review our decisions regularly
Who we're looking for
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change (you will be required to travel)
- A team-focus with the ability to communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of people at all levels
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the able to work on your own initiative and influence key decisions
- Passionate about getting the right solutions to real engineering problems
What you’ll need
- Degree or industry experience within a relevant discipline (e.g. Maths, Physics, Computer Science, Geography or Geographic Information System) with a minimum 2:2
- Good understanding of principles of GNSS and INS
- Understanding of GIS Principles and Global Co-ordination systems
- Experience in programming/coding (e.g C#, JAVA, Python
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
What would be an advantage
- Knowledge of Feature Manipulation Engine (FME)
- Experience with navigation systems, geodesy
- Experience of processing of mobile mapping of railways and/or highways using LiDAR data
- Knowledge of GNSS and INS software
- Experience of using MatLAB
- Understanding of traditional survey techniques
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is reviewed annually based on performance. You will have the opportunity to join a contributory pension scheme, flexible benefits package and you may be entitled to a company car, if applicable to the role. Your professional institution fees will also be covered.
For more information about what you can expect as a Balfour Beatty Graduate and what’s involved in the scheme, visit our website here to learn more.