Data Scientist 2021
To support the Cyber Data Science & Analytics team in delivering impactful quantitative models, algorithms, and insights to drive business decisions. This position will work closely with Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Data Engineers, Cyber Underwriting Management, and Cyber Claims. The Cyber Data Science & Analytics team focuses on innovation, growth, and profitability for Beazley’s Cyber and Tech insurance products. This role has a strong focus on machine learning and model implementation.
- Apply statistical learning methods to Cybersecurity and Cyber insurance complexities
- Develop practical data science solutions for business challenges
- Collaborate with appropriate stakeholders to deploy solutions and models into production environments
- Thought leadership; Help drive innovation in the underwriting and claims processes via collaboration with underwriting management, claims team, and the actuarial team
- Research new data sources, industry trends, and cutting-edge techniques
- Transform ad-hoc analyses into automated processes
- Present findings, analyses, results, and model performance to Data Science & Analytics team and additional key stakeholders
- Mentor team members and promote an enjoyable working environment
At Beazley we are committed to doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do. It is important that within all your interactions both internally and externally you adhere to this principle through adoption of Beazley’s core values and behaviours – PIED and Being Beazley.
- Adopt the Beazley culture of Professionalism, Integrity, Effectiveness and Dynamic that contributes to an internal environment of teamwork and promote a positive brand image and experience to our external customers.
- Comply with Beazley procedures, policies and regulations including the code of conduct. Undertake training on Beazley policies and procedures as delivered by your line manager, the talent management or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) either directly, via e-learning or the learning management system.
- Display business ethics that uphold the interests of all our customers.
- Ensure all interactions with customers are focused on delivering a fair outcome, including having the right products for their needs.
- Comply with any specific responsibilities necessary for your role as outlined by your line manager, talent management or assurance teams (compliance, risk, internal audit) and ensure you keep up to date with developments in these areas. This may include, amongst others, Beazley’s underwriting control standards, Beazley’s claims control standards, other Beazley standards and customer relationship management.
- Carry out additional responsibilities as individually notified, either through your objectives or through the learning management system. These may include membership of any Beazley committees or working groups.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field required; Graduate or a post graduate STEM preferred.
- 2-5 years professional experience in a data science team (or similar)
Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- The ability to manage time, meet deadlines and prioritise
- Stakeholder management and ability to communicate concisely at a number of levels
- Understands basic business principles and strategic drivers
- Able to identify and help the business to assess options and solutions that best fit requirements
Knowledge and Experience
- Advanced knowledge of Python (preferred) and/or R, including writing production-ready code
- Experienced in managing and manipulating data, including strong knowledge of SQL
- Expertise in predictive modelling concepts and machine learning algorithms (both supervised and unsupervised)
- Experience with version control systems (such as git)
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to tailor them appropriately for different audiences, technical backgrounds, and seniority
- Experience building end-to-end solutions is a plus
- Cybersecurity or insurance background is a plus
Aptitude and Disposition
- Outcome and customer focussed, self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic
- Professional approach to successfully interact with managers and colleagues
- Biased toward action, achievement driven, proactive
- Consistent, resilient, and entrepreneurial
- Problem solving
- Using expertise
- Team working
- Learning Agility
- Analytical thinking
- Conceptual thinking
- Process thinking
- Communication – able to tailor at multiple levels