Marketing Internship 2021
At Bookmark we give children the reading skills and confidence they need for a fair chance in life, through our flexible volunteer-led programme. Our marketing activity is vital to the charity to help us attract more volunteers, promote our programme to schools, and attract funders so we can support as many children as possible.
Do you want to gain work experience in a small and vibrant charity making a real difference to children’s literacy?
Each year, eight children in an average class will leave primary school unable to read well. These children often struggle in school, and beyond. Reading isn’t just about books. It’s about reading a road sign, a safety manual, a birthday card. It’s understanding a job application and the prescription that could help save your life.
When a child can navigate words, they can navigate the world. That’s why we’re helping children develop the reading skills they need to succeed by creating flexible volunteering at the heart of our communities. The Bookmark app matches schools with fully safeguarded, vetted and trained reading volunteers in the local community, at the tap of a button. Each volunteer delivers one-to-one reading sessions for a six-week programme with a child who needs extra help with their reading.
We are a small but growing team of hard-working people, who care about what we do. We love to roll up our sleeves, try new ways of doing things, and support each other so that we can achieve our goals. If that sounds like you and you share our vision and values, we'd love to hear from you.
Help us change the story for more children
We’re looking for an enthusiastic and creative Intern to support our Marketing team over the summer and help us to build our volunteer, school and funder community. You will be reporting to the Marketing and Communications Officer and working closely with the Head of Marketing and colleagues across the charity.
This is a paid, eight week internship spanning July-September. The salary for this role is £22,500 pro rata.
Please apply by completing an application form and sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org We encourage you also to submit 1-2 examples of previous written or design work if relevant.
The deadline is midnight on Wednesday 9 June with interviews expected to take place between 14-18 June. This role combines home working with some office-based work in central London.
Help Bookmark to reach as many children as possible by actively contributing to the following activity:
- Social media content creation, monitoring and engagement
- Assist the Marketing Officer in updating flyers, posters and other marketing collateral
- Researching and managing advertising on local and national volunteer platforms
- Researching media outlets and drafting press materials
- Researching potential partner organisations
- With the Marketing Officer, developing a new volunteer attraction campaign targeting student volunteers
- Help to develop case studies, blogs, video assets
- Ensure that all activity helps to build Bookmark’s brand and is always brand compliant
- Help to manage team admin tasks and maintenance of contacts database • Contribute to reporting and evaluation of marketing activity
- Passionate about our vision and mission
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong attention to detail
- Friendly, inquisitive and helpful mindset
- Enthusiastic, professional and positive with a strong desire to learn
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Technically literate and proficient in Microsoft Office (particularly Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
- Strong grasp of key marketing concepts, audience targeting and branding
- Basic design skills (Canva and Adobe) and video editing skills are desirable
Bookmark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the well-being and welfare of children and requires everyone associated with Bookmark, including all trustees, employees, and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful applicants will need to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the role, including references from past employers and Disclosure and Barring Service checks. Bookmark is an equal opportunities employer, and we welcome applications from all sections of society and communities we operate in.