THP Device Industrial Placement 2021
British American Tobacco is a global business going through a hugely dynamic period in our 100+ year history. With consumers seeking more choice with expectations above traditional cigarettes, now is an exciting time to have a real say in what we do - A chance to feel the international impact of your work and the responsibility to own what really matter to our consumers. All sides of the business is fully thriving, from our traditional tobacco roots, which we have proudly grown into a market-leading enterprise, to our business in developing brand-new products that promote choice, where innovation thrives. What’s best about our evolution is that science is at the heart of all of it. Our global R&D teams uncover the facts and drive us forward using the most cutting-edge technologies. We have over 200 different scientific methods – from analytical chemistry and toxicological profiling to future casting and battery design. Why work here? Because we’re not just any FMCG company: we’re industry leaders, game changers, world shapers.
About the Placement Scheme
In the UK, we offer 12-months placement - starting 1st of September 2021 - opportunities to undergraduate students looking to gain practical experience within a vibrant and innovative industrial setting. As part of the scheme, you will be partnered with a mentor, have regular reviews with your Line Manager and work on projects that impact the business.
Training and development is provided throughout the placement with successful applicants having multiple opportunities to develop transferable skills in addition to gaining ‘hands on’ experience in a technical discipline.
As part of the scheme students get a chance to cultivate their independent thinking and problem solving skills in addition to working in and contributing to a team. Cross functional/department working and participation in other research activities is also encouraged, where appropriate. Previous work experience in a practical ‘hands-on’ role would be useful but not essential.
The responsibility for this role is to support the development of the next generation of THP device.
The role will involve working closely with the lead Mechanical Engineer and the extended project team across R&D and Innovation Technology on the design, development and testing/validation of tobacco heating devices and will include activities such as detailed mechanical design in CAD of device components as directed by the lead Engineer , testing and data analysis at component and device/system level and working with both internal and external stakeholders such as the device development partners.
- Work with our internal and external teams on the design of the device to ensure it will meet the requirements specification, the drawings and design are grounded in technical and manufacturing feasibility.
- Conduct and propose/design device verification tests for development prototypes to ensure we achieve the desired performance and to establish potential failure modes /areas for improvement that can be worked back into design.
- System (device and consumable) performance data generation, analysis and reporting/presentation
- Liaise with IP Lex team to ensure patent protection or freedom to operate when required.
- Liaise with the Quality team to determine the key characteristics and specification limits for the new materials to create a statistically validated quality control plan.
- Current undergraduate student studying Mechanical Engineering, Product Design or Electromechanical Engineering. Familiar with CAD system such as Solidworks
- Predicted to achieve a degree classification of at least a 2:1.
- Good knowledge of design and engineering processes
- Support development and testing of prototypes for consumer research and validation/ assist with the preparation of risk assessments and submission for Product Stewardship
- Salary of £18,200 per annum
- Subsidised gym membership (£15 per month)
- Subsidised lunches
- 25 days annual leave
- Free on-site parking
- Participation in the Discretionary Company Bonus Scheme
- Participation in the Company Share Reward Scheme
- Participation in the Company Pension Scheme
- Private Healthcare Cover
- Eligibility for Company Flexible Benefits Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme