Graduate Mechanical Engineer 2021
Are you a curious and creatively minded graduate mechanical engineer looking for exciting and fulfilling experiences? Do you have a passion for understanding technology and a methodical approach to solving tough problems? Would you like to work on a wide selection of products for clients in the Industrial, Consumer, Energy and Defence industries?
We are hiring a graduate mechanical engineer who specialises in thermodynamics and heat transfer. The application deadline is the 31st January 2021.
The Mechanics and Design Department undertakes the development of innovative devices and equipment from concept to manufacture whilst addressing considerable technical and design problems.
We combine user centred design, innovative mechanical engineering, a rigorous systematic approach to problem solving and a broad base of industry experience to form a powerful development team. Our work ranges from undertaking complete product developments from concept to market, to providing consulting services for our clients on their technology, strategy or development processes. One of our key capabilities is in fluid dispense technology development e.g. aerosols, foams, microfluidics and heating/cooling systems.
Some examples of some of our more recent exciting and challenging projects we have worked on include:
System design of a fully automated larvae rearing system for processing food waste into high value protein for animal feedstock: https://www.cambridgeconsultants.com/case-studies/entomics-biosystems-insect-larvae-rearing
Vinfusion: An app lead personalised wine blending and dispensing device with a touch of theatre: https://www.cambridgeconsultants.com/projects/vinfusion-art-and-science-wine?source=3763
Catalogue: Development of the world's first DNA-based platform for massive data storage: https://www.cambridgeconsultants.com/case-studies/catalog-dna-data-encoding-machine
This is an excellent opportunity for a graduate mechanical engineer with the ambition and ability to achieve excellent results within highly demanding industries under tough commercial and time constraints. You will be using your technical skills to contribute to product development projects with support and guidance from seniors; from initial idea generation through to the delivery and manufacturing support for market ready products. This may include:
- Carrying out research into cutting edge technologies and markets
- Taking part in concept generation and problem-solving workshops
- Evaluating ideas using evidence from modelling (CFD & FEA) or experimentally obtained evidence
- Preparation of detailed designs, from system to component level
- Manufacturing of parts and assemblies, hands-on or by liaising with suppliers
- Testing of designs to ensure they meet the client’s and end customers’ needs
- Communicate with peers and clients to understand their problems and present your solutions
- Use maths and physics to solve complex engineering problems, especially those involving fluid mechanics and thermodynamics
- Design elegant solutions to client’s problems
- Obtain and analyse simulated/empirical test data to gain insights into design performance
- Competitive salary, based on merit and reviewed annually
- Company profit share scheme in addition to basic salary
- Pension scheme
- Life, disability and travel insurance, plus private healthcare
- Free canteen - breakfast, lunch and refreshments
- 25 days annual holiday plus public holidays, with flexibility to carry over / borrow
- Relocation assistance if applicable
- Excellent career development and training opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- Social committee
- Discounted train season tickets, through Travel Plan Plus
- Free shuttle service to/from Cambridge North train station, through Cambridge Science Park
Cambridge Consultants is committed to developing its employees' careers and has a flexible policy for individual capabilities and preferences. Promotion is linked to merit.