Geoscientist Internship Minerals & Mining
CGG is a pioneering Technology Company providing world class fully integrated Geoscience services globally. We employ in excess of 4,000 people worldwide, who bring a unique blend of talent and energy through working together to deliver unrivalled innovative solutions to our customers.
Through our cutting-edge data and technology in Geoscience, we have achieved outstanding leadership with a strong focus on innovation and a commitment to delivering the best sustainable solutions to our clients' challenges. Our scientific teams collaborate with customers, through the analysis, enhancement and creative problem solving of complex data.
We are looking for enthusiastic, talented and highly motivated Geoscientists to join our Minerals & Mining team based in South-East England (other European locations would also be considered). This part of our business is expanding rapidly, and we are looking to fill several roles across disciplines that link to emerging trends and opportunities in the minerals and mining sector.
Depending on the combination of skills and experience that each candidate brings, there will be the opportunity to contribute to technical research, developments, product commercialisation, and commercial projects. The minerals and mining group collaborates with the CGG business lines that span a range of technical disciplines, including geology, geophysics, satellite remote sensing, digital and environmental science.
As an integral member of our Minerals & Mining team we highly encourage the contribution of ideas and drive in the generation of new concepts and commercial opportunities for the business.
We are looking for several roles, including Geoscientists, Analysts and Data Engineers who ideally have experience within geoscience, particularly mineral exploration, geology, geophysics, geotechnics, geodetic monitoring or remote sensing. Experience in the minerals and mining domain, or a blend of the experience described, is highly desired.
The roles are most suited to those who are currently working on a PhD, those who have recently completed an MSc or PhD, or candidates that that have industry experience and are interested in immediately embarking on a new opportunity.
Key Skills & Competencies
There are several roles available, and the successful candidates may have a background in the Geosciences, Data Analysis/Science or a combination of these disciplines. Please specify your preferred area of focus on the cover letter that you supply.
You will be experienced in one of more of the following areas: research in a technical discipline (linked to minerals and mining), data engineering (gathering, programming, processing, analysis), business/market intelligence gathering and analysis. The successful candidate will benefit from some of the skills identified below, which should be highlighted in your application depending on your preferred role/area of focus:
- Experience through own research to engage critically, practically and creatively with current topics relating to the geosciences, specifically natural resource management & the minerals and mining sector.
- Specific knowledge of the minerals industry/technology requirements, trends and gaps;
- An understanding of data and technology impact, and the potential for enhancements to address technical and commercial opportunities
- Advanced problem-solving skills, especially focused on finding new solutions to data identification, ingestion, consistency, loading, and output problems
- Ability to rapidly locate, digest and compile information from different sources
- Experience in coordinating or managing projects that involve diverse data and stakeholders; ability to define and manage project deadlines
- Advanced skills in Python or similar general-purpose programming and scripting languages
- Good understanding of statistics & data science including machine learning
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills including VBA
- Familiarity with data extraction techniques from a variety of file types, including web-scraping approaches and technologies
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- An enthusiastic attitude towards learning and flexibility to adapt to new challenges and rapid changes in direction.
What you can expect from us
Our culture of learning and complementary approach to supported or self-guided career development, enables the design of tailored courses to suit specific needs of each individual to aid personal growth in areas related to technical, commercial and personal skills, via an extensive suite of CGG developed courses, managed through our own CGG Learning hub.
- Paid positions (up to 6 month fixed-term contract initially, with the possibility of extension): competitive salary.
- 22 days holiday
- Employee Assistance Program to support our staff
We Care about our Staff and Environment
We recognise the importance of work life balance for our employees, which is supported through our flexible working and relaxed dress code policies.
We recognise and actively support the wellbeing of our staff through many different initiatives;
- Onsite Exercise classes, almost every day of the week and promoting active lifestyles
- Onsite Social Games area which provide downtime through the working day
- Our restaurant, offering great food and a highly effective social and work space
- Regular social club events, spontaneous reward events throughout the year
- Many discounts schemes, including Gym membership and a cycle purchase scheme
We encourage and actively support a strong sense of community, through volunteering and various company initiatives, as well as a strong company commitment to protecting our environment through sustainable solutions, energy saving and waste reduction enterprises.