Risk Graduate Programme 2021
Our award winning Graduate Programme produces our leaders of the future. It provides an excellent start to your career in insurance – one of the largest and most important industries in the UK.
Our unique programme
Over 24 months, we will provide you with the opportunity to gain practical knowledge and experience in our Risk team, which helps the business to assess the risks and associated costs of being an insurance company in the London market.
Through specialist placements within our Enterprise Risk Management, Exposure Management, Capital Modelling and Underwriting Risk Management teams, our programme will develop your expertise in every area of our Risk Function. You will learn how we identify and analyse risks using risk assessment techniques as well as how we calculate Regulatory capital, monitor performance, exposure and appetites. You will gain a good understanding of all areas of the company as well as all classes of business that are written. Our proven approach will give you with an in-depth understanding of how we manage our business risks, as well providing you with many opportunities to develop a broad network of contacts within the company and across the market.
We also provide you with full support for your professional insurance qualification with the Chartered Institute of Insurance; the UK’s leading industry body for insurance professionals.
The responsibilities of our Risk Function:
- Enterprise Risk Management assesses the risks that can affect our business and recommends strategies to minimise, eliminate or transfer the risks identified
- Exposure Management measures the total potential financial exposure of the business to catastrophe events, such as earthquakes or hurricanes
- Underwriting Risk Management, whose analysis, oversight and challenge improves the underwriting performance of the business
- Insightful and efficient Risk Reporting to internal Board and Committees and external Regulators
- The Capital Modelling team is responsible for calculating our regulatory capital requirements, as well as supporting the wider business in a number of key areas, from reinsurance purchasing and investment risk monitoring, to strategy and risk appetite.
Some useful resources:
- Introduction to Risk Management
- The world’s specialist insurance market
- Discover the wider world of risk
A little bit about us
We are a leading specialty (re)insurance group, providing clients with proven smart risk solutions for underwriting and claims. Our enterprising and trusted experts offer market leading cross class capabilities, empowered decision-making and a tailored approach.
With our headquarters in London, and our international hubs for Europe, MENA, North and Latin America and Asia, we protect clients in over 200 countries and territories worldwide. We offer clients the flexibility of both Lloyd’s and, through Chaucer Dublin, the company markets.
Development opportunities we offer
Our people are commercially minded and self-motivated team players; and together we have created a dynamic and successful business. We believe that our people define and drive our business, which is why the growth, development and well-being of all our employees is so important to us.
We work hard to ensure that careers at Chaucer are challenging, inspiring and rewarding, and that the work environment is ambitious and supportive.
We are committed to helping you to maximise your potential while on our programme:
- In your first week, we provide you with a structured induction programme to help welcome and prepare you for your role
- We provide full support for your Chartered Insurance Institute qualification (ACII). To learn more about the role of the CII in your professional development, visit cii.co.uk
- We provide learning opportunities in each area of our Risk team through structured on-the-job training, technical briefings, professional education courses and self-study
- Our Human Resources Team are with you every step of way through our Programme, and help you to devise your own Personal and Professional Development Plan
- We also provide you with a buddy and a mentor
- able to think critically to solve problems and justify decisions
- a team player and able to build strong relationships
- well organised, and a clear thinker
- an excellent communicator
- good with numbers
- self-motivated and high achieving
- committed to studying for an insurance-related professional qualification
- You have a minimum of a 2.2 degree. You have 3 or more ‘A’ levels, ideally one of your ‘A’ levels will be in Maths. (grades A to C), plus GCSE Maths and English (both minimum grade B). You also have good IT skills including Microsoft Excel. You can start with us in October 2021 and have an unrestricted right to work in the UK.
A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace are core to our success as a business and integral to our winning strategy and culture. We recruit from the widest available pool of talent, and our hiring, assessment and selection process is fair, free from bias and one which ensures we select the right person for the job, based on merit. We are committed to promoting a culture that actively values difference, and recognises that everyone has the right to be treated with dignity and respect throughout their employment.