Graduate Quantity Surveyor - 2021
We have an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Quantity Surveyor to join our project.
Cadent is the UK’s largest Gas Distribution Company owning and operating four of the eight UK Gas Distribution Networks across the East of England, London, North West and West Midlands; spanning over 131,000 kilometres of pipes. Cadent transport gas safely and reliably to 11 million homes across their networks and operate the Gas Emergency Helpline for the whole of the UK. Costain is appointed as the Construction Management Organisation to manage the planning and delivery of the annual network investment programme for the East of England Network.
Key tasks & responsibilities
- Undertaking the efficient and effective management and issuing of accurate, timely and compliant notices and correspondence
- Ensuring contractual and commercial risks and opportunities are identified to the Contract Leader
- Preparation and agreement of applications for payment or the assessment & preparation of payment certificates.
- Maintaining registers of variations, delay, extension times and claims
- Compliant and consistent implementation of the Company's commercial policies and procedures.
- Assist with preparation of monthly progress valuations and claims for work completed.
- Interfacing with Customer’s commercial and project teams
- Produce monthly cost reports, forecasts, and Contract Leader Reports
- Review value management and advise on Risk management
- Negotiate, administer and finalise / close out of supply chain contracts.
- Support in the preparation of supply chain enquiries
- Plan and implement change management and cost control
- Ongoing liaison with site team, supply chain and Customers’ representatives
- Provide contractual advice to the project / site team as and when appropriate.
- Maintaining awareness of the different construction contracts in current use
- Understanding the implications of health, safety and environmental regulations.
- Ensure all health, safety and environmental risk situations are brought to the attention of Contract Leader / Project Manager
Knowledge, experience and technical know-how
- Holds an RICS / CICES accredited degree.
- 12 months commercial experience in the construction industry with demonstrable track record of achievement, ideally with experience of streetworks.
- Experience of managing the NEC Suite of Contracts including ECC and ECSC
- Demonstrable financial and commercial acumen
- Practical approach, logical thought process and a methodical way of working
- A creative and innovative approach to problem-solving
- Experience of operating office management systems including filing systems and document control and distribution.
- An ability to collate information, prepare reports, payment certificates and interim financial reports and closeout reports.
- Experience of drafting effective contractual correspondence and the facilitation of collaborative solutions