Graduate Structural Engineer 2021
Jacobs and Costain have formed a Joint Venture to deliver the end to end Highways Service for East Sussex County Council. The contract started in 2016 and is worth around £50m per annum, for 7 years. The service includes management of stakeholders and maintenance of all aspects of the Highway. This includes street lighting, traffic and signals, drainage, carriageways, footways, bridges and structures – right through to design and delivery.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
As a Graduate Structural Engineer you will assist in the successful delivery of routine, reactive and planned maintenance schemes for highway structures, the programme of highway structure inspections, and other activities related to the management of the county bridge stock as directed by the Structures Manager.
- Carry out scheme design and preparation activities to aid project delivery
- Undertake all forms of structure inspections and produce reports
- Carry out feasibility, option and other relevant studies to address structure issues
- Continuously monitor and review the effectiveness of services, systems and processes to improve performance and ensure best value for stakeholders and customers, implementing improvements as agreed
- Carry out other activities related to the highway bridge stock in accordance with the Management of Highway Structures Code of Practice and as directed by the Structures ManagerContribute to the effective management of the structures/bridge stock and the maintenance of its functionality and conditionAssist in the ongoing management and upkeep of the client’s Structures Management Database
- Resolve service delivery issues and complaints in an appropriate and timely manner in accordance with policies and procedures
- Continually liaise with clients and relevant stakeholders
- Comply with service demands for timely production of project specifications, drawings and documentation
- Comply with service processes and Quality Management SystemProduce accurate and professional reports when required
- Contribute to the team requirement to maintain the bridge stock and halt deterioration of its condition
- Contribute to the success and functionality of the team
- BSc Civil Engineering or BEng Civil Engineering
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including writing detailed reports
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in relevant subject area
- Analytical and research skills
- Excellent IT skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Ability to organise and prioritise work and meet tight deadlines
- Knowledge of policies & procedures relevant to service areaKnowledge of Safety, Health & Environment, and CDM Regulations
- Demonstrable knowledge of structural articulation and behaviour
- Self-motivated with the ability to enthuse and motivate othersDiplomatic, innovative, decisive, change orientated, self-motivated, team worker
- Commitment to continuous development
- Full driving licence or ability to demonstrate how the travelling needs of the role will be met
- BEng Civil Engineering.
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers or working towards this qualification.
- Chartered Engineer (MICE or MIStructE)Familiarity with IT analysis/design software
- Experience of working within a bridge or highway design office
- Experience with highway structure inspections
- CAD experienceKnowledge of bridge and structures maintenance techniques
- Knowledge of structures asset management
- Knowledge of structures analysis and design
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
At Costain we aim to be an accessible, diverse and inclusive organisation to continue to meet our customers’ needs. We will be industry leading in our approach and people from all backgrounds will be proud to work for Costain. Our goal is to have a workforce that is representative of society.Should you require any adjustments to support you in your application, please do not hesitate to contact us: firstname.lastname@example.orgWe will consider all applicants regardless of age, race, faith and socioeconomic background, including those from marginalised groups, such as (but not exclusive to):People who identify as LGBT+, including non-binary peoplePeople with physical or neurological disabilitiesPeople who have mental ill healthWe welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need for dynamic working, such as, working part-time, remote working, or compressed hours. Right to Work & Security ChecksUnderstandably given the nature of our business, everyone who is employed at Costain must undergo thorough referencing checks. We will need different information depending on the job we have offered you. For all roles, we'll carry out a criminal record check and we’ll ask to see evidence that you have the legal right to work in the UK.For some of our roles, you may be required to obtain and maintain security clearance of at least Security Check level (or SC clearance). To satisfy the requirements, you will need to have been a legal UK resident for a minimum of 5 years and have successfully complete all stages of the vetting process.
Please note that Costain reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend at you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date