Summer Placement Scheme 2021
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in joining an organisation where your work will contribute and help to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, the graduate scheme provides a perfect gateway into a future career in this industry.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs. UKAEA are at the forefront of realising energy from fusion, working with industry and research partners to deliver the ground-breaking developments that will underpin tomorrow's fusion power stations with the aim of bringing fusion electricity to the grid.
Who are we looking for?
The UK Atomic Energy Authority offers excellent opportunities for undergraduate students studying at UK Universities with relevant disciplines seeking summer placements. The placements are usually in the region of 10 weeks from mid-June 2021.
The placements are mainly designed for students about to enter their final year (September 2021) with potential opportunities post-graduation, and other year groups.
Due to several funding streams we are fortunate to be able to offer a variety of opportunities for summer 2021. UKAEA has a nurturing community that learns from each other.
What opportunities does the summer placement scheme cover?
Our main placements cover the following specialisms:
- Control & Instrumentation Engineering – Support in the design, installation, operation and enhancement of modular electronics, PLC systems and analogue and digital electronics at board and systems level.
- Software Engineering – Support in maintaining and updating software, writing, configuring and testing of control, data acquisition, analysis and archiving systems.
- Electrical / Electronic Engineering – Support in the maintenance, repair and provision of upgrades/refurbishments to major parts of the pulsed power supplies plant (400/36KV), as well as producing electrical equipment designs from specifications.
- Mechanical Engineering – Support by performing a variety of engineering tasks to include systems analysis, design and review, operational analysis as well as repair and recovery of existing equipment.
- Chemical Engineering– Support the maintenance, testing, calibration and conduct routine and low-level operations of a gas plant and safety related equipment. Seek improvements to plant and operational practices and methodologies, assist in the design of a new Tritium process facility.
- We also have opportunities to join the summer placement scheme in other parts of the organisation, such as procurement.
Working towards a degree in a relevent discipline, at a UK university with the right to work in the UK.
What is the recruitment process?
If shortlisted, you will be contacted by the recruitment team to arrange a short telephone interview. Due to the current situation, successful applications will be invited to a more in depth virtual interview where you will have the opportunity to demonstrate your abilities and skills in a range of different situations which include a short presentation.
What we offer
- Competitive pay
- A culture committed to being fully inclusive, supported by a Being Inclusive Strategy and Inclusion Ambassadors
- Dedicated Early Careers events and group networking opportunities
- Being part of the Early Careers community at UKAEA
- Support with homeworking resources as required
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particular from individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, including nationality and citizenship, people with disabilities, (visible and hidden) and women. Our dedicated Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Partner, with the support of our Inclusion Ambassadors, is actively promoting and advancing diversity and inclusion in the organisation to help make our organisation an employer of choice. We are easily accessible by car and are a 10-minute walk from Culham Railway Station.
Please be advised that this vacancy may close earlier than stated if large or sufficient numbers of applications are received.
Our intention is to offer a full range of placements from different specialisms around the organisation, however we are mindful of the current situation and some adjustments may need to be made to our recruitment process or numbers, due to COVID-19.