Graduate Applications Engineer
Learn the intricacies of how software applications work and put your first class investigative skills to work.
Dorset Software is currently recruiting logical and curious STEM graduates to help become application engineering experts. We create and maintain bespoke IT systems for a range of clients spanning multiple industries.
If you're the person friends and family go to for advice about technology, you already have the potential to be a star applications engineer. The role plays an essential part in customising applications, making sure they're performing to their full potential, and enhancing the user experience.
A day in the life
As this is an entry level role, you'll spend your first 17 weeks on our comprehensive training course (while earning your full salary). After successful completion, you'll work either in-house or at client sites across the UK delivering exceptional service and building on your knowledge.
Here are some typical things you'd be doing as an applications engineer:
- Adapting an existing intranet by creating new, personalised page templates
- Quickly familiarising yourself with a client's system
- Interpreting feedback from end users and deciphering the best solution for their problem
- Working alongside Network & Infrastructure Engineers and other IT roles to resolve issues
- Delivering detailed and helpful user training to our clients
- Assessing the technical risks of changes to a system and offering your advice
Learning the ropes
Applications Engineers are the expert users of all applications, but we don't expect you to join with any previous experience. Before you’re assigned a live client project you’ll get the chance to develop all the necessary skills while getting paid.
The training programme is based in our office in Poole. Here’s what you can expect:
- Familiarisation with Dorset Software diagnostic methods
- Grounding in core areas such as Microsoft Office, SharePoint, and other applications (written by our very own developers)
- A designated mentor to help you through the course
- Extensive training in areas like installing and configuring software, upgrading and maintaining programmes, and providing internal and external technical support
- Exposure to other graduate role modules to broaden your understanding
- A friendly culture with like-minded colleagues
Now you know about the role…
Do you have...?
- At least a 2:1 undergraduate degree or a PhD in a Maths, Science, Engineering or Computing subject
- A passion for technology and motivation to learn about the industry
- A confident manner and excellence in customer service
- A calm, methodical approach to problem solving, with an analytical mindset
- Ready to embark on an exciting and challenging career
- Willing to travel and work at client sites across the UK
- Able to quickly adapt to new situations
- Starting salary of £23,500 - £24,500, with regular salary reviews
- Excellent training and opportunities for career progression
- Contributory company pension scheme
- Flexible working hours and holiday provision
- Regular sporting and social events
- Cycle to work scheme
- A relaxed work environment
- An unlimited supply of chocolate biscuits, or fresh fruit for the health conscious!
About Dorset Software
Based on the sunny south coast in Poole, Dorset Software is all about employee and customer satisfaction. Benefiting from over 29 years of experience, we are experts in understanding our clients’ needs and always work closely with them to devise and deliver the most appropriate solution for each project.
Our holistic approach allows us to provide a range of services that stand the test of time. These services include bespoke software development, exceptional consultancy services, and IT Systems Management.
Enthusiastic to continue our sustained period of expansion and improvement, we are focused on employing the best minds so contact us today to find out more or apply.