Test Engineering Interns and Placement Year
Research, Design and Development (RDD) is Dyson's engine room. It’s where our engineers challenge convention, build, test, fail, refine, and then fail again - all to invent technology that solves problems that others ignore. Our engineering approach starts with different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Our research and testing enables us to pioneer new technology by continuously improving and developing our machines. The team is hands-on and integrated, which means you’ll be fully involved in the development process. You’ll generate innovative concepts based on scientific theory through experimental test and simulation – designing, building and testing prototypes, before analysing performance and communicating findings.
At our UK Technology Campus, we have opportunities for 3, 6, and 12-month internships starting in the summer of 2020, for penultimate year students who are eager to play a key part in bringing the next generation of Dyson technology to the world.
About the role
Our scale and rapid growth make Dyson rich in new opportunities. Join us as an intern and from day one you’ll be expected to hit the ground running on one of Dyson’s many live projects, and the chance to have a meaningful impact on the evolution of Dyson technology. You’ll be working as part of a larger project team and have your own set of project deliverables and the chance to take ownership of how these are achieved.
Some of your tasks could include:
- Owning and supporting test activities across categories
- Developing and executing test methods
- Developing and testing algorithms to ensure electronics, software and hardware integration
- Designing experiments and necessary rigs/fixtures for component and system characterisation and validation
- Testing and assessing the reliability and robustness of our designs
- Solving engineering challenges to create better, faster, more cost-effective solutions for Dyson’s unique products
Working alongside engineers, scientists and technical experts across a broad range of disciplines, you’ll be comfortable learning from others but also sharing your own knowledge, ideas and opinions. In fact, we encourage this.
For the duration of your internship, you will have regular performance conversations as well as opportunities for development to enable you to build your reputation within the team, and this could be just the start. We’ll be looking to offer our high performing interns to return on our graduate programme.
Our internships are competitive and delivering the next generation of Dyson technology is tough, so you’ll need to be:
- On track for a 2:1 or above in an engineering discipline such as Electronics, Mechanical, Software or Mechatronics
- Be in your penultimate year at university, graduating in 2022 if applying for a summer internship, or 2023 if applying for a placement year.
- Able to evidence how you have applied your technical knowledge to solve problems, either through your university projects or as part of your extra-curricular activities.
- Happy to build your own networks to learn from the technical expertise around you.
- Creative in your approach to problem solving to ensure our machines are better.
- Passionate about Dyson and our technology to help us meet our ambitious future plans.
- 27 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Performance related bonus and joining bonus
- Free on-site gym and sports centre
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Free on-site parking
- Pension scheme
- Life assurance