Graduate Actuarial Trainee Peterborough 2022
First Actuarial puts delivering pragmatic pension solutions at the heart of its business. We help our clients and pension scheme members get the best out of pensions. We continue to successfully grow and want to further strengthen our talented actuarial team.
About the role
We are looking to take on university graduates to join our growing team. We ask our employees to commit to us and we give you lots in return. In addition to a competitive salary, private medical and PHI insurance, and a non-contributory pension, you
- will be fully supported in your training and development, to qualification as an actuary, and beyond
- will enjoy an informal working environment and casual dress policy
- will join a friendly and supportive team
- will be given autonomy and responsibility so you can concentrate on producing high quality work
- can choose to work in a hybrid-style (combining office and home working) after an initial period of being encouraged to spend more time in your local office
- will have flexibility around your daily working hours to fit with your work-life balance
Who you are
We are looking for the right people to fit our business
First-rate numerical skills and a strong academic performance, with at least a 2:1 undergraduate degree in any discipline, as well as the following skills
- Communication – be an excellent communicator who understands how to express complicated ideas in a concise and clear way, and the ability to develop your communication approach as your exposure to clients increases.
- Characteristics – a can do, enthusiastic approach to tackling problems, and a desire to build positive relationships with your colleagues and clients.
- Self-discipline –determined and motivated to meet the demands of studying and working full time
- Problem solving – an agile mind able to examine challenges from various aspects
Actuarial students are responsible for a variety of tasks from complex calculations and modelling to clear communications and advice. Keeping up to date with the latest pensions news and legislation is an essential part of delivering our services. You’ll be responsible for
- Liaising with clients by telephone, e-mail and at meetings
- Supporting pension scheme administrators
- Meeting deadlines and requirements on a portfolio of pension schemes
- Numerous actuarial calculations (e.g. triennial valuations)
- Drafting standard and bespoke communications
- Supporting actuaries directly in all aspects of their work
Not all the work we do is traditional actuarial work – you probably know we often challenge conventional thinking. So, we’d be able to give you lots of variety and challenge – utilising your well-honed actuarial skills and bringing your own thinking.