Graduate Mechanical Engineer 2021
We have an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Building Services Mechanical Design Engineer to be part of our multidisciplinary engineering team in London. You will be required to work autonomously or with a team to develop the successful projects through clear strategy and proactive commitment nationally and internationally.
- To understand the design project
- To prepare, and develop under the guidance of a project leader, calculations, analysis, drawings, diagrams, models and other documents relating to the design
- To assist where required in the co-ordination of the internal design team
- To take responsibility, where required by the project leader, for specific areas of the design and project development
- To liaise, where appropriate, with members of the external design team and other associated organisations or companies
- To seek, and record evidence of, continuing professional development (CPD) in accordance with the requirements of the relevant professional Institution
- To have thorough knowledge of and compliance with Foster + Partners procedures and standards
- To contribute, or otherwise assist, as required by the Project Leader or Senior Partner, or nominated Engineer
- To take responsibility in project document control and filing as required by the project leader.
Qualities and skills required
- Able to demonstrate ability to undertake the above responsibilities
- Legally able to work in the country in which the position is based
- Technical engineering skills with the relevant university qualifications (Master’s degree or equivalent)
- Ability to understand and formulate design decisions and present for discussion
- Ability to use a variety of media in the development and documentation of a design project.
- Advanced knowledge of working with Microsoft Office software to be used for calculations, reports and presentations
- Working knowledge of core technical guidance published by ASHRAE and CIBSE
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team
- Ability to take initiative in response to direction or instruction
- A flexible and open attitude towards new ways of working and commitment to independent, lifelong learning
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills – articulate and diplomatic manner
- Able to manage sensitive and sometimes confidential information
- Self-motivated and able to take responsibility
- Good interpersonal skills
- Resilient to cope with conflicting demands, able to prioritise duties and work effectively under pressure to meet project deadlines
- Understanding of the engineer’s role in the co-ordination and integration of project information and management
- Understanding of financial aspects of running a design project on time and on budget
- Ability to use some of the following: Autodesk Revit, IES, InDesign, Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Coding in python, dynamo, grasshopper, C+
This description reflects the core activities of the role but is not intended to be all-inclusive and other duties within the group/department may be required in addition to changes in the emphasis of duties as required from time to time. There is a requirement for the post holder to recognise this and adopt a flexible approach to work. Job descriptions will be reviewed regularly and where necessary revised in accordance with organisational needs. Any major changes will be discussed with the post holder.