Graduate GIS Consultant 2021
As a Graduate GIS Consultant at Mott MacDonald, you will have a chance to work on some of the major UK and international projects and be part of a collaborative and highly motivated team providing GIS and geospatial data analysis support and developing digital tools. You will assist colleagues with data capture, data management, analysis and visualisations and map layouts creation for reporting. You will evaluate user needs and provide solutions and recommendations for the most appropriate digital tool or suite of tools. This may include GIS desktop and web tools, databases or data integration tools including Python scripting, development of FME data transformation workflows or Microsoft Power Automate applications to automate processes. Other duties will also include identifying and supporting opportunities for improving workflows for achieving efficiencies and innovative solutions, identify existing and new data sources to best inform project teams, implement solutions for project data management and mapping and manage mobile data collection packages for field workers.
You will work closely with GIS team members in ongoing development and implementation of standards and tools for day-to-day GIS processes and data management and participate in knowledge sharing and professional excellence activities in our Global GIS community of over 700 GIS specialists and users.
We are looking for a flexible and highly motivated, creative graduate with a genuine passion for GIS, data science and programming and a desire to make a difference in the world. If this describes you, apply today to launch your career at Mott MacDonald.
To apply for this role, you will have must have or are studying towards an MSc degree in Geospatial Sciences, Geographical Information Systems, Computer Science or a related field with ideally 12 months relevant work experience. However you must not have more than 12 months postgraduate experience.
If you apply with a bachelor's degree unfortunately your application will be automatically rejected.
In your application you should be able to demonstrate your interest through relevant experience, such as studying relevant modules, or previous work experience.
Your typical duties and responsibilities may include:
- Create plans and drawings using GIS.
- Manipulate, analyse and manage data in GIS, from a variety of formats.
- Support specialists from other disciplines to create their own mapping, via instruction in desktop and online GIS.
- Ensure the quality of GIS outputs, as checker and/or approver of GIS products.
- Working with the GIS team to deliver GIS deliverables to tight deadlines.
- Help develop methodologies, procedures, information management tools and innovative digital solutions for the use of GIS and associated technology in proposal, projects and business development.
- Contributing to the technical development of the GIS team through sharing ideas and innovations.
- Undertake own continued professional development
- Experience of ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online.
- Experience of field data collection using ESRI Collector and Survey 123 apps.
- Experienced in development of web mapping apps using Web AppBuilder.
- Experience delivering high quality cartographic outputs.
- Experience handling and managing GIS and CAD data.
- An aptitude for problem solving using scripting e.g. Python, ESRI Arcade or R and FME
- A knowledge of spatial analysis workflows and work with spatial data
- Working knowledge of UK GIS datasets.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to pass on skills or deliver training to other staff.
- A disciplined, methodical approach to working, with an eye for detail and precision.
- Thinking both creatively and logically to resolve design and development problems
- Strong attention to detail and an ability to apply knowledge into practical schemes
- Enthusiasm and drive, with a passion for identifying problems and delivering digital solutions.
- A strong interest in keeping up with latest technologies and how to apply these to real business problems to provide innovative digital solutions;
- A focus on results and project delivery
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients and team members.
- Some experience of Open Source GIS platforms such as QGIS, PostgreSQL/PostGIS, using SQL in PostgreSQL/PostGIS to construct spatial queries and perform geoprocessing tasks
- Some exposure to use of scripting and automation the Office 365 suite (MS Power Automate, Excel VBA, Power Query, Access VBA; Power BI and SharePoint);
About this graduate role – is it the right one for you?
A graduate scheme should be more than just job. We know this and so do you. That’s why with our graduate programme, we aim to give you the experience and technical knowledge you need to progress your career.
From the moment you join us, you’ll receive the training you need. You will be assigned a chartered mentor, who will guide you to meet the objectives of your professional training agreement. We’ll support you on your journey to gaining chartered status with your chosen institution.
What else is involved?
With our innovative graduate development portal, you will be able to effectively track and plan your personal and professional development online.
You’ll be enrolled onto Accelerate Your Future, a three-year programme which develops your strengths, it also gives you the opportunity to network and meet other graduates in your cohort. The programme is a mix of residential events, classroom-based learning, virtual webinars and business challenges.
We understand that each person’s career goals vary, therefore we tailor make each individual’s development programme to suit them. With our vast library of e-learning courses available to you, you can choose which direction you want your career to go in.
You’re probably wondering what else is on offer. Join us, and you’ll get:
- Biannual salary reviews: we believe that hard work should be rewarded and recognised. Therefore, for the first three years of your career with us, you’ll have biannual salary reviews.
- A competitive salary: in addition to biannual reviews, we will ensure that you’re given a salary that matches the current industry standard.
- Contributory pension: we have the best people on our team and we like to look out for them. With our support, you’ll have all the advice and options you need to be able to invest in your future.
- A flexible benefits scheme: our company is made up of a range of different people and we understand that different people want different things. That’s why with our flexible plan, you’ll have the ability to manage the range of benefits we have on offer, to suit your specific needs.Our social side