Graduate Accountancy Scheme (ACA) 2024
The NAO is the UK’s independent public spending watchdog. We work for, and for the good of, everyone in the country.
Our position is unique, and our work is highly influential. We support Parliament in holding the government to account and we help improve public services through our high-quality audits.
What is the role?
We offer you the opportunity to study towards a fully funded ACA whilst developing your technical knowledge and a wide range of employability skills including leadership, client engagement and project management.
For you, this means challenging and varied work that makes a difference and a chance to start a fantastic career. Our people have a great reputation among our clients, Parliament, other international audit institutions and the wider accountancy profession.
Why should you apply?
Alongside doing varied work with an unrivaled network of high-profile clients including central and local government, you’ll have access to a supportive and sociable peer group to help you gain career success. We also provide a competitive salary, which includes annual pay increases and additional payments when you pass each exam stage. Your salary upon ICAEW qualification (which usually takes three years for Graduates) is more than £51,000 a year if based in Newcastle, and more than £58,000 a year if based in London.
Our attractive pay and benefits package include:
- Fully funded ACA qualification and ICAEW membership subscriptions
- 35 days’ holiday (including public holidays)
- Fully paid 25 weeks study leave in block release
- Civil Service pension scheme
We have opportunities in our London and Newcastle offices, so click the link and find out how you can ‘Change Your World’ and be part of a much bigger picture at the National Audit Office (NAO).
The start date for the scheme will be the 2nd September 2024 where you will embark on a 3-month induction programme designed to kick start your career at the National Audit Office.
However, we do have some limited early start positions available from January - April 2024 for students that have already graduated. This will allow you to gain some practical work experience before starting the training programme in September.
Who can apply?
We are looking for individuals who can:
- Analyse data to draw sound conclusions
- Demonstrate sound judgement
- Communicate effectively with others
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, initiative, and drive
- Build and maintain effective team relationships
- Build and maintain key client relationships
- Plan and organise workload to deliver high quality work to deadline
- Understand the bigger picture
To join the Graduate Scheme, you must:
- Have a minimum of 120 UCAS points (or 300 based on the pre-September 2017 UCAS tariff point system) or equivalent from your top 3 A' Levels, not including General Studies. If you have 104 UCAS points (or 260 based on the former UCAS tariff point system), you may still be eligible to apply as your application will be reviewed in the context of your socio-economic background.
- Have a 2:1 undergraduate degree (or better) in any degree discipline (achieved or expected)
- UK Nationals;
- Nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK;
- Nationals from the EU or EEA or Switzerland with (or eligible for) status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
Please note we are not able to sponsor work visas. Please contact HRServiceDesk@nao.org.uk if you have any queries on your eligibility.