Asset Liability Management Strategy Graduate
The Asset Liability Management Strategy team sits within Rothesay’s trading function, working closely alongside our Liquidity and Quantitative Trading Risk teams. The team’s ultimate aim is to maximise our investment capacity to ensure we purchase the optimal assets to meet the payment due on our pension liabilities. By understanding the constraints on our balance sheet (in particular, capital and liquidity requirements), we optimise within this framework to find solutions that enable trading proposals.
The investment capacity framework is relatively new and under continuous development, as we revisit assumptions such that we maintain the best possible approach. The scope of the team is continuing to evolve; it offers a great growth-opportunity for strong, highly motivated candidates. We are looking for smart, commercial applicants with an excellent academic record, strong quantitative and problem-solving abilities and a high degree of adaptability, with a genuine intellectual curiosity to expand their existing skillset.
The wide scope of the role, combined with Rothesay’s dynamic and nimble culture, offers a prospective graduate an unrivalled opportunity to take ownership over their role and career path at an early stage. An offering which traditional graduate schemes cannot match.
A successful applicant will need to be able to combine detailed quantitative analysis with strategic problem solving and a keen awareness of the commercial impacts of their work across the firm. The work we do feeds decisions across the business driving the pricing of both liability and asset deals. The candidate will need to be able to design frameworks for thinking about problems, and communicate these effectively to others.
More specific and detail oriented tasks include:
- Managing positions and their hedges in Rothesay’s Matching Adjustment Fund, and where required directing the trading team on the application of new derivatives
- Assessing the impact of prospective asset trades on Rothesay’s balance sheet, to aid the investment decision making process
- Considering the impact of asset and liability trade pipeline on Rothesay’s value.
Ad hoc problem solving is varied and depends on biting constraints at the time.
The on-the-desk training will be demanding and will require you to undertake challenging project and day-to-day work that will extend your skills, and give you direct access to members of various teams across Rothesay.
Skills & Experience
- Hold a 2:1 or equivalent degree from a leading university in a relevant or highly quantitative subject, with a preference for mathematics, finance, physics, or similar
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, and an ability to apply these skills explaining complex and niche quantitative aspects to audiences from a wide variety of backgrounds
- Be able to demonstrate commitment and enthusiasm for working in a trading team, and intellectual curiosity for learning new skills and expanding knowledge of asset classes
- Technical Skills - Demonstrates strong technical and analytical skills, perhaps through University projects, showing creative problem solving. Pays attention to detail, and takes initiative to continually broaden his/her knowledge
- Drive and Motivation – Be a self-starter; successfully handles multiple tasks, takes initiative to improve his/her own performance, works intensely under time pressure towards extremely challenging goals and persists in the face of obstacles or setbacks
- Commercial Awareness – Sees the big picture alongside the quantitative analysis; effectively and pragmatically analyses complex issues
- Judgement and Problem solving - Thinks ahead, anticipates questions, plans for contingencies, finds alternative solutions and identifies clear objectives
- Teamwork – Demonstrate evidence of being a strong team player, collaborates with others within and across teams, encourages other team members to participate and contribute and acknowledges others' contributions
- Communication Skills - Communicates what is relevant and important in a clear and concise manner and shares information/new ideas with others
- Creativity/Innovation - Looks for new ways to improve current approaches and develop creative solutions that are grounded in reality and have practical value
- Influencing Outcomes - Presents sound, persuasive rationale for ideas or opinions. Takes a position on issues and influences others' opinions and presents persuasive recommendations
Rothesay actively promotes diversity and inclusivity. We know that our success depends on our people and that by nurturing a culture that values difference, we create a stronger, more dynamic business. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
Disclaimer This position description is intended to describe the duties most frequently performed by an individual in this position. It is not intended to be a complete list of assigned duties, but to describe a position level. The role shall be performed within a professional office environment. Rothesay has health and safety polices that are available for all workers upon request. There are no specific health risks associated with the role.