Private Client Tax Trainee 2021
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Our trainee schemes are structured training programmes combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
Our Private Client Tax Services team help individuals from all walks of life with their tax issues. With over 6,000 private tax clients and 1,500 trusts, our Private Client Tax Services team’s client base is incredibly diverse, including:
- high-net-worth families and individuals,
- entrepreneurs, business owners and family businesses,
- internationally mobile and non-domiciled individuals,
- landed estates,
- professional practices, and
- deceased estates
What will I be doing?
Our team help their clients meet their tax compliance obligations and liaise with HMRC on their behalf. This can include preparing their tax returns, repayment claims, computations, accounts and dealing with any correspondence from HMRC. Our team ensure that clients are aware of tax changes that affect them, and that reporting requirements are met.
As a trusted adviser, our team build lasting relationships with their clients, sometimes extending to include different generations of the same family. They develop a deep understanding of their clients’ individual drivers and aims, enabling them to formulate and implement effective strategies to achieve their goals. Our team provide practical and commercial advice at milestones in their clients’ lives, such as on the sale of their business or property, coming to or leaving the UK. They are engaged to advise on asset structuring, trust formation and administration, succession and will planning. Our team also provide family office services.
To ensure a holistic approach, our tax team will often work together with their clients’ legal advisers and other professional teams. The team develop strong relationships with the different teams within Smith & Williamson sharing many clients with investment management, financial planning, business tax and business services; as well as working with the international advisers as part of the Nexia Network. As part of our Private Client Tax Team you will combine hands on practical experience which could be advising on tax efficient strategies or helping clients with financial planning whilst studying.
Responsibilities of the Trainee role are as follows:
- Ensuring that our clients meet their annual tax compliance obligations, including:
- liaising with clients and third parties to obtain the necessary information;
- if applicable, preparation of accounts (such as for trusts or rental properties) and computations for partnerships;
- preparation of basic tax returns or repayment claim forms;
- advising clients of their forthcoming tax liabilities and tax matters affecting them; and
- submissions to HMRC to ensure the clients’ reporting requirements are met.
- Assisting in the preparation of tax advice for clients (for example in relation to income, capital gains or inheritance tax), including technical tax research, strategic planning and drafting of reports for clients.
- Dealing with correspondence from clients, HMRC and other third parties. This can be via letter, email or telephone.
- Dealing with day to day administration matters in relation to clients, including assisting with billing clients in a timely manner for the work we have carried out on their behalf.
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
Progression within this team is fast, with responsibility from an early stage. By the second year you'll be taking on a more senior role with smaller clients and helping to supervise the new intake of trainees and as your experience grows, you may have opportunities to experience other assignments such as control reviews and due diligence projects.
During your training contract you will study towards the joint Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT) and Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) qualifications. Additionally, you will achieve the Level 7 Apprenticeship qualification, developing essential skills sought out in the professional services sector.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the joint ATT/CTA qualifications within the Level 7 apprenticeship
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- Must have or be on course for at least a 2:2 honours degree in any discipline
- 112 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English Language and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade 5