Graduate Search Consultant Programme (Content & Language Specialist)
Are you looking for a career to utilise your languages degree? Do you enjoy creating compelling copy? Are you able to absorb and relay engaging stories? Would you like to work in a meritocracy where you are judged only on your output and not on tenure?
If you said yes to all of these questions, please do keep reading as this career could be for you.
A brief intro to Thurn Partners
We are a high-end search business that creates revenue by sourcing high calibre investment and technology individuals for the leadership teams of investment management businesses. We do this by harnessing the written and verbal English language.
We are a value-driven company based in the heart of London. We utilise cutting-edge technology and take a data-driven, systematic approach to what we do. Everyone in the business champions our culture of collaboration, ideas sharing and continuous improvement.
Now four-years-old, with year-on-year growth that has surpassed our imaginations, we are looking for the next superstar for our team. You will be joining a fast-growing company early on its growth path, which will allow you to have high impact on the business and high autonomy from day one.
People who excel with us tend to have an aptitude for lateral thinking and problem solving, are intrinsically motivated to do excellent work, have a natural aptitude to use the verbal and written English word, and are no-ego, sociable people, who enjoy working as a high performing team.
As of September 2022, you’ll undertake a nine-month programme working towards building your skillset and giving you all the tools and expertise you need to build a career here. Once promoted you will have the skills and platform to earn well over £100k based solely on the quality of your output.
Why should a languages graduate join us?
As a languages graduate, you will have a unique opportunity to make use of written and oral skills of expression in a business setting. On the day-to-day, you will craft innovative, well-constructed written English content in order to engage and interest impressive industry individuals, with whom you will then start to build a relationship. Just as you will have formed relationships with outsiders during your year abroad, you will have the opportunity to foster meaningful relationships with exceptional, high-achieving individuals and to use your communicative abilities to build a genuine rapport with them – to the extent that they will trust you, heed your advice and value your consultancy and expertise when it comes to their careers.
There are few other commercial and corporate careers that offer so much creativity, both in the written and spoken word. Your unique, tailor-made message could engage a Hedge Fund leader with 10+ years’ experience, and from there, you will have an opportunity to tell the compelling story of a client business with whom you would like them to meet – and ultimately, join – making an immeasurable impact and future profit for the business as they do. Being able to maintain an intelligent conversation with these individuals will give you credibility and the variety of individuals you will speak to from a role and experience perspective will add dynamism to the day. Success comes down to the content of your delivery and emotional intelligence.
What you’ll be doing
While honing your craft, your primary goals will be to identify and interact with investment and technology professionals across Europe and North America utilising the bespoke copy you’ve created.
You will need to think laterally and innovatively, conducting research on companies and individuals to clearly identify the most suitable professionals to interact with. You will combine your research with bespoke, well-crafted content and data-driven, direct marketing techniques to initiate conversations and bring people to the table. Over time you will foster long-term business relationships with these people.
You will spend a good portion of your time meeting with people in person, on the phone and via video, assessing whether they possess the skills, experience, and expertise our clients are looking for.
You will be given responsibility and autonomy from day one, with unmatched support from the leadership and wider team. You will be challenged to continually learn and improve, with a clear and fast-growth career path ahead of you.
What traits do we look for in you?
While there is no single background we are looking for, here are some of the qualities that will help you thrive in our culture:
- Experience having created compelling, well-structured, written content.
- Able to eloquently deliver captivating stories.
- Strong core composure and emotional intelligence.
- A creative mindset, with an aptitude for problem-solving.
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail.
- High accountability and sense of ownership over your role.
- Thirst for learning and continuous improvement.
- Exceptional verbal and written English and well-honed communication skills.
- Exceptional academic achievements evidenced by a minimum of a 2.1 (expected or obtained). A 1st Class or high 2.1 Bachelor’s Degree in Languages or related field preferred.
- 3-12 months’ work experience (including part-time work, internships, or full-time work).
- Noteworthy extracurricular leadership or activities.
- Always Think Long Term. Work as a Team. Continually Improve. Be Accountable.
- 25 days holiday (in addition to UK bank holidays). Increases by 1 day for every calendar year of service, capped to 30 days.
- Office closed for 2 weeks over Christmas period (not taken out of holiday).
- 3 month paid sabbatical after 5 years of service.
- Very strong uncapped annual commission scheme, with no desk fees.
- Company pension contribution.
- Company-wide social events including lunches, holidays and team building events.
- Free fruit, snacks and drinks.
- Parental leave, including 6 months full-pay/full-benefits maternity and 3 weeks full-pay/full-benefits paternity.
- Potential for travel to meet with international clients (Europe, USA, Asia).
- We’re based in a modern office, with free barista-made coffee, a roof terrace with views over the city, a free bar and lots of breakout and collaboration space, and a wellness programme.
The interview process
We have designed our interview process to ensure that we set people up for success. We want to ensure that we are right for you as much as you are for us. Each process may vary, but our usual format is:
- Phone Interview – A bit about you, a bit about us (30-60 minutes)
- Off-Site Case Study – Gives you a sense for a part of the role and helps us see what you can do (2.5 hours)
- Case Study Debrief Call – Tell us what you thought about the exercise and we will dig into your approach (30 minutes)
- Psychometric Assessment – Helps us understand what makes you tick (30 minutes)
- Final On-Site Interview – Meet the team. We will get to know you more and you can ask us anything you want (1-3 hours)
- Please note that we currently don’t hold a visa sponsorship license.
- Contract hours are 08:30-18:00. However, people who excel in reaching their full potential understand that this is not a typical 9-5 job. We are a networking and relationship-driven business, where people will need to speak/meet out of working hours and urgency is important – also, we are an international business with clients overseas.
- We are a business that thrives on collaboration and enjoy learning from one another – We therefore generally operate 4-5 days a week in the office. We’re flexible with adhoc working from home for travel and “life admin” after probation.
- We are committed to promoting and progressing a diverse and inclusive workforce. We do not discriminate but embrace and promote individuals’ differences! It is our belief that everyone has the right to a secure and safe working environment fostering learning, progression, and growth.
- Should you require any reasonable adjustments to interview or take employment with us, please let us know at your earliest convenience.
- Please allow a few days for a response. All CVs will be reviewed, but given the volume, you may only receive a notification through the system if your resume was not deemed relevant. We apologise for that.