Graduate MEP Design Engineer Coventry 2022
Are you a passionate and enthusiastic graduate looking to start your career in MEP design management? The University of Warwick has an exciting opportunity for a Graduate MEP Design Engineer to join our busy Estates team to commence in 2022.
We are in an exciting period of development at Warwick, and we are looking for someone with a degree in a building services engineering or related discipline who is keen to gain hands on, varied experience in a diverse organisation and who can get stuck in and really drive and support some key refurbishment and new build projects.
About the role
As a Graduate MEP Design Engineer, you will be involved in different scales of projects to gain knowledge and experience on a range of construction projects. The projects can be self-led from £10k to supporting a Senior Project Manager on a £50M project. The project types could involve essential power, water, heating or data installations to improve our infrastructure resilience or accommodation, laboratories, teaching, offices, workshops or commercial areas.
You will have a good knowledge of Health and Safety and be able to build effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, to see projects through to completion.
In return, we can offer you a supportive environment in which to gain a firm grounding in your career, offering fantastic multi-disciplinary experience and progression as opportunities develop. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate adherence and progress their core competencies for the relevant professional institution. You will also be supported through working towards professional accreditation with the relevant professional body.
Your starting salary will be £27,116 (Grade FA5).
Various training will be offered as a minimum, including:
- IOSH Managing H&S in Construction/ Working Safely at Warwick
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme Test & Card
- University ‘moodles’ including Asbestos Awareness
- Construction Design and Management Regulations
- Microsoft Project, AutoCAD and other project management software
We offer excellent benefits, including:
- Generous annual leave
- Hybrid working opportunities
- Discounted gym membership
- Attractive pension scheme
To gain firm understanding and experience in building services design engineering, including proactive engagement with training and support given within the scope of the graduate scheme. To ensure proactive and demonstrable progress against the post holders’ responsibilities in line with the graduate scheme criteria and assessment.
Support the design, management and delivery of projects within defined cost, time and quality parameters, with support from others in the Capital Programme team.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. To undertake and manage a range of activities and duties relating to building services design engineering, including:
- Prepare and manage MEP design as required to fulfil project scope, compliance, budget and programme;
- Appoint and coordinate with consultants as required to ensure scope and design quality;
- Assist in the management of MEP engineering elements with construction projects;
- Support planning and design processes;
- Proactive updating of project management system;
- Highlight/escalate changing priorities to Senior manager for advice and guidance, building up to making recommendations/providing solutions;
- Highlight and suggest approach to asbestos management in reference to project delivery, with support from Asbestos team.
2. Research, prepare and produce high quality, accurate MEP services related documents, relating to:
- Health and Safety regulations (in consideration of Construction Design and Management Regulations and relevant University policies), drawing on the support of the Estates Health and Safety Adviser where required;
- Support the preparation of project briefs and feasibility studies; of drawings, specifications and reports;
- Preparation of cost plans and estimates (in conjunction with the Commercial Manager) for schemes including building work, service installations, furniture and fittings and consultant fees;
- Assisting in obtaining planning permission and other legislative approval processes to ensure compliance;
- Preparation of works orders, contract documentation and variation orders, in accordance with University Finance regulations.
3. Liaising with the Procurement colleagues during the procurement process, including furniture installation and tendering works using a variety of contract types. Build confidence and experience in managing project budgets, initially in close liaison with the Finance and Procurement Team, to ensure all projects are delivered within the approved budget.
4. Work closely with the Project Management team, the Architectural Design team and the Clerk of Works team to ensure projects fulfil the requirements of the University in design and architectural image.
5. Support on-site supervision and quality control of all schemes. Check compliance with programme, drawings, specification & legislative requirements. Managing the commissioning and handover of the projects and ensuring handover of documentation is complete.
6. Ensuring an audit trail is maintained, including the production of record drawings of projects for integration into the Estates Office AutoCAD archive together with appropriate data for entry in the Estates asset register by the Records Manager.
7. To proactively engage with and complete all graduate scheme requirements, ensuring achievement of objectives outlined in the framework document and as required for you to obtain membership in your chosen professional body.
8. Other Duties, commensurate with the grade, as required.
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake the role effectively. This is measured by (a) Application Form, (b) Test/Exercise, (c) Interview, (d) Presentation.
- Degree in a relevant discipline. (a, c)
- The capability to supervise consultants and contractors in a project environment including the administration of construction contracts. (a, c)
- The capability to apply Construction technology, building design and specification theory and practices in practical situations. (a, c)
- The capability to understand and apply construction Health and Safety, as client and designer. (a, c)
- experience of using MEP services design/modelling software packages. (a, c)
- Experience of using drafting software packages to create building services design drawings. (a, c)
- Experience of using Microsoft Office and IT based project planning and systems relevant to construction/building services engineering. (a, c)
- Good interpersonal and communications skills, with the ability to explain complex information. (a, c)
- The ability to develop internal and external relations, collaborate, motivate and encourage performance in others as well as the ability to negotiate and persuade at a project level. (a, c)
- Commitment to continuing professional development. (a, c)
- Commitment to working towards and obtaining the criteria outlined in the graduate scheme framework. (a, c)
- The ability to form strong working relationships with the Estates team and with stakeholders. (a, c)
- Good problem solving skills. (a, c)
- Experience in a construction role obtained through a placement would be advantageous. (a, c)
- Experience in building services related decarbonisation and sustainability initiatives. (a, c)