Junior UNIX Administrator 2021
Our mission is to 'help people save and invest with confidence'. We are looking for great people to join us, so please come and invest in YOUR future at HL
At Hargreaves Lansdown (HL), our Linux and UNIX based systems are the backbone of our mission critical client facing infrastructure. Due to the increasing demands we are now looking to increase the size of the team.
An average day will be diverse and present a wide variety of tasks which include ensuring HL’s systems are maintained and managed in line with best practice, resolving service affecting issues, implementing changes to the systems, building new systems and environments, and providing technical guidance to other teams.
A key part of this role involves delivering change to the business using a continuous improvement workflow, this is achieved using configuration management tools to create new components and change existing infrastructure, and therefore candidates with an interest in coding will have an advantage.
You will enjoy owning a problem whilst working with other teams to resolve it. Alongside this you will be providing day to day support during normal business hours and you will be expected to take part in our on-call rota. We aim to train all our UNIX 3rd line engineers up to a RHCE level using the official RedHat training courses.
- Responsible for the ongoing maintenance, security, and availability of systems infrastructure based on business requirements and adhering to tight operations, security, and procedural models
- Troubleshooting complex problems finding root causes and putting long term fixes in place
- Providing technical assistance to other teams
- Implementation of system changes
- Operating system patching and maintenance
- Increasing efficiency within the team through automation and process improvement
- Working with architecture and project management teams to help deliver change to the business in relation to your area
- Responding to and resolving incidents and problem tickets
- Creating documentation in line with our standards ensuring consistency of our documentation
- Working with our in-house development team to help maintain and change our internal platform as required
Skills and Knowledge
- 2 years’ experience working on Linux or UNIX based systems
- Experience of working in a zero downtime environment
- A good understating of Linux Administration (Centos or Redhat)
- Understanding of networking e.g. DHCP/DNS/NTP/TCP
- Programming and scripting skills (bash, python, puppet)
- Grade C or above in Maths and English GCSE (or equivalent)
- Educated to AS / A level (or equivalent)
- Demonstrate a good level of technical expertise to support complex Unix Systems across all tiers, under minimal supervision
- Good numerical skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to effectively manage your own workload
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Experience in a financial services environment
- Experience in an environment governed by PCI-DSS
- Configuration management systems (puppet and or chef)
- System monitoring (e.g. Opsview / Nagios)
- Understanding of virtualisation technologies e.g. VMware
- Apache HTTPD
- Source control software (e.g. Subversion, Git)
- Degree educated in an IT related discipline
- RedHat RHCE
- Strong communicator (written and verbal)
- Ability to analyse and problem solve
- Performance-related annual bonus scheme
- 25* days holiday, plus 8 bank holidays, plus 1 day additional Christmas closure time
- Option to purchase up to an additional 5 days holiday each year
- Pension scheme - up to 19% contribution
- Flexible working options available
- Enhanced parental leave benefits
- Variety of travel to work schemes, including season ticket loans and cycle to work
- Bike storage and shower facilities
- Employee assistance programme
- Volunteering opportunities
- Annual events, activities and sports groups
- Smart casual dress policy and dress down Fridays
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't tick every box. If you're excited about working for us, and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need!
Hargreaves Lansdown is an inclusive employer that values diversity in its workforce. We encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
This role may also be available on a flexible working or part time basis – please ask the Talent Acquisition team for more information.
Please note, we are unable to provide employment sponsorship to candidates.