1. Our schools make a real difference.
Ark is an education charity that believes every child should have the chance to go to university or on to the career of their choice. All of our schools are in areas of economic deprivation or historic underachievement.
Our schools are guided by our six pillars in how to make a difference in young people’s lives. And our approach is working – our schools and teachers have achieved some incredible results – including King Solomon Academy, which despite being in the poorest ward in London, is one of the best state schools in the country.
Research shows that out of all the major school groups, Ark makes the biggest difference in transforming the lives of disadvantaged school children.
2. We know how important your training really is.
The training really sets us apart from other providers. With the School Direct approach you’re in the classroom from day one, but we won’t drop you in the deep end.
- You’ll receive 500 hours of face-to-face training
- Weekly sessions with your fellow trainees
- 120 hours team teaching with a great teacher
- 66 lesson observations with feedback on your practice
- 190 school days to put your learning into action
- Three short placements in different schools
- An in-school coach and an Ark Teacher Training tutor to give you feedback
And it works. 85% of our recent trainees were graded ‘outstanding’ and 100% of our graduates succeed in securing teaching roles.
Ark Teacher Training was recently rated as ‘outstanding’ in all areas by Ofsted, stating that the programme offered “exceptionally tailored coaching and training… of the very highest standard”.
3. We want you to stay in teaching – so we offer great career development.
We’ve put a lot of thought into your long-term development. Following your first year of training, you’ll join our NQT programme – a high-quality development programme which will support you during your second year of the programme, so you can continue to improve.
Then there’s our unrivalled level of support for middle leaders, senior leaders and even headteachers.
Some of this may seem a long way off, but you can rest assured you’re in the right place for your development, whatever the stage of your career.
4. You won’t be bored. Ever.
We know that an excellent education means more than just great exam results. It means building pupils’ confidence and character – helping them to be ready for the world. We encourage pupils from different Ark schools to come together and enjoy a whole range of enrichment events, and that means opportunities for teachers to participate as well. “Every day is different filled with challenges, exciting opportunities and amazing rewards,” says Ark Helenswood Academy teacher Charlotte Ward.
We have debating contests, sports days, maths ‘wrangles’ and more. It all culminates in the Ark Music Gala, a huge event held at a world famous venue where dozens of schools and hundreds of students perform pieces ranging from Adele to Beethoven. See it for yourself:
5. We’re a network, which means choice, support and opportunity.
You get to choose what school you want to work in. We work with schools across the country in Birmingham, Hastings, London and Portsmouth. Being part of a network means a large number of career choices and opportunities to learn from others.
Programmes that are linked with Ark Teacher Training include:
- Mathematics Mastery – an innovative teaching framework supporting schools, teachers and students to be successful at maths.
- Ambition School Leadership – providing headteacher and school leadership development for middle and senior leaders.
- Frontline – transforming the lives of vulnerable children by recruiting and developing outstanding individuals to be leaders in social work and broader society.
6. We’re international.
In addition to operating schools in the UK, we also work internationally, through Ark’s Education Partnerships Group, supporting governments across the globe to create the environment for their schools to flourish.
Something for our new teachers to aspire to is The Ark Global Teaching Fellowship, where middle leaders have the chance to work in our international schools or partners for a two-week, expenses-paid placement.
7. Last but not least: it’s all about the kids.
Don’t just take our word for it, hear from some of our students…
Apply now to become a great teacher.